Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Second Day

The Kellar
I finally Arrived here in Vienna and it is great! The first night we all got situated and got to know each other a little bit. In the morning we all met up at this place called the Kellar where we had orientation for the class. We talked about the main issues that we will be covering in the class. One of the main issues that I want to face is why is religion needed for social justice to occur? We talked about the issue of human trafficking and how sometimes it can be an issue when victims are helped by religious groups, they assume the identity of the group because they do not know how to have their own identity. The idea that the values that lead to social justice are found in the teachings of all the main religions. This is a big factor in why religion plays such a large part in social justice. The question for me is still is it actually necessary to have religion and believe in God to have social justice occur. As a Atheist I do not feel as I have to do good in the world because of some higher calling. Yet, I still feel the need to help out my fellow man and do good in the world. My question is, why is this? At this point, I cannot fully answer this question but I am getting closer to a answer.
After that we went to a Cafe which was one of Sigmund Freud's hangouts. We then toured the city for a little bit and visited the University here. Finally, we went to see St. Stephen's Cathedral which was beautiful. The day was rapped up with a Greek dinner and listening to jazz at pub.

Food at Frued's Hangout
Dessert at Freud's Hangout YUM!

At the University, we got to witness a graduation ceremony
Among many busts at the University was this one

A memorial to the Jews who died in the Holocaust

Touring the City 
Touring the city continued
...Just singin' in the rain!

Touring the City
Me posing with a chocolate version of Krampus

Touring the city continued
The Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment